Saltfish Rundown with Shrimp
If you love seafood, this saltfish rundown with shrimp recipe is a must-try! They say that necessity is the mother of invention and I agree, because it was a lack of ingredients in my home that brought this recipe into being. While chatting to my father one morning, he shared his plans to cook salt mackerel rundown for breakfast. Well as ‘hungry belly’ would have it, that conversation instantly led to a craving for ‘rundown’!
Unfortunately, the last pack of salt mackerel I bought was used up the week before. However, it was the Lenten season and thankfully I had stocked up on shrimp. There was also a small ‘bump’ ah saltfish wrapped up tight in my chiller, just waiting to be made into some delicious saltfish fritters. That’s when a light bulb went off in my head…why not make a seafood combo using saltfish and shrimp? And just like that, my saltfish rundown with shrimp recipe was born.
Delicious Saltfish Rundown Recipe - with juicy jumbo Shrimp!!
- 200 gram raw white pacific jumbo shrimp (peeled & deveined) about 12 jumbo shrimp
- 200 gram saltfish de-boned salted codfish or pollock
- 1/3 cup thick coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 small carrot optional
- 1/4 small yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 small red onion chopped (optional)
- 1 large garlic clove chopped
- 2 tbsp red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 small tomato chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 tbsp scallion/green onion chopped
- 1/2 small scotch bonnet pepper deseeded (to taste)
- 4 - 6 pimento seeds
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- Rinse then boil the saltfish uncovered in a large pot for about 35 minutes.
- While the saltfish is boiling, rinse and drain the shrimp.
- Season the shrimp with salt and black pepper.
- Prep the carrots and fresh seasoning and set aside.
- Cool and test a piece of the saltfish (close to the bone), to determine if it has the desired amount of salt. If the saltfish is too salty, pour off the 'old' water and boil it again for another 5 -8 minutes, then test it again.
- Use a knife to remove the thick silvery skin from the saltfish. If the saltfish contains bones, remove and discard them.
- Use your fingers to 'flake' the saltfish and add it to the bowl of shrimp, tossing them together lightly.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or frying pan.
- Stir-fry the carrots and seasonings for 1 minute on medium-high heat.
- Add the shrimp and saltfish and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Cover the pot and let cook for 3 minutes.
- Flip the shrimp over, cover the pot and let cook for another 2 minutes or until the shrimp turns pink all over.
- Add the coconut milk and stir for 1 minute.
- Cover the pot, turn off the burner and let simmer for another minute.
- Remove the pot from the burner, and serve your Saltfish and Shrimp Rundown warm with boiled ground provisions, fry dumplings, bammy, festival, roast breadfruit or rice.
- Bless up and enjoy it!!
- Please remember to come back after you've tried this recipe and leave me a 5-star rating & review if you enjoyed it. Thanks in advance 🙂