Old-Time Jamaican Salt Mackerel Rundown
Salt mackerel Rundown is a classic Jamaican breakfast dish that captures the sweet taste of ‘Old-Time’ Jamaican cooking. This dish features flaked salted mackerel loaded with fresh herbs and spices, simmered down in a creamy coconut sauce.
If I were to guess what makes salt mackerel rundown a hit, I’d say it’s in the coconut milk sauce. This is because the sweet, finger-licking coconut sauce or ‘rundown’ pulls all the delicious flavours together in one tantalizing dish!
Enjoy your mackerel rundown with side dishes like festival, boiled ground provisions, fry dumplings, or roast breadfruit.
If you love flavourful seafood, I’ve prepared some other delicious recipes for you! Make sure to check out my recipes for Saltfish and Shrimp Rundown, Steam Fish with Okra, Shrimp and Broccoli Stir-Fry, Crispy Fried Shrimp, or Restaurant-Style Shrimp Fried Rice.
Bless up and enjoy them
Delicious Jamaican Salt Mackerel Rundown
- 400 gram salted mackerel
- 3 tbsp cooking oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 small carrot optional
- 1/2 small tomato chopped
- 1/4 small yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 small red onion chopped (optional)
- 1 large garlic clove crushed
- 2 tbsp red bell pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp green bell pepper chopped
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped scallion/green onion
- 1/2 small scotch bonnet pepper deseeded (to taste)
- 4 - 6 pimento seeds
- 1/4 cup thick coconut milk
- Rinse, then boil the salt mackerel uncovered in a large pot for about 35 minutes.
- While the mackerel is boiling, prep the carrots and seasoning and set aside.
- Cool and test a piece of the mackerel (close to the bone), to determine if it has the desired amount of salt. If it is too salty, pour off the 'old' water and boil the mackerel for another 5 - 8 minutes, then test it again.
- Use a dinner knife to scrape the thick silvery skin from the mackerel, then remove the bones and discard them.
- Use your fingers to loosely flake the mackerel.
- Heat the cooking oil In a large wok or frying pan.
- Stir-fry the carrots and fresh seasonings for 1 minute on medium-high heat.
- Add the mackerel and black pepper then stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Cover the pot and let it cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and stir for 1 minute.
- Cover the pot, turn off the burner and let it simmer for another minute.
- Remove the pot from the burner and serve warm with boiled ground provisions, fry dumplings, bammy, festival, roast breadfruit or rice.
- Bless up and enjoy it!!
- Please remember to come back after you've tried this recipe and leave me a 5-star rating & review if you enjoyed it. Thanks in advance 🙂
*Please note that this page may contain Amazon affiliate links (highlighted links to products on Amazon). I get a small commission each time you purchase through my Amazon links, at no extra cost to you. Thanks in advance for making all your Amazon purchases through my product links..
3 thoughts on “Jamaican Salt Mackerel Rundown Recipe”
The redult was perfect. Just like my mothers cooking. I even learnt to strip to strip off that outer slimy skin.
It was delicious.
Hey Opal! Thanks for your review:) I’m super happy you used my recipe to prepare Jamaican Salt Mackerel that was as lovely as your mother’s cooking and you enjoyed it to the max. Please try some of my other recipes and let me know how you enjoy them! Bless up 🙂
Perfect! I’ve been trying to get it right for too many years (well decades) LOL! Finally I found the answer. Thanks.