Chicken Noodle Soup with Shrimp
I’m sure you’ve heard about chicken noodle soup, but have you ever heard of chicken noodle soup with shrimp? Well after you’ve tried this mouth-watering recipe, you’ll be tempted to make every day a ‘Soup Day’!
If rainy days and Mondays get you down, the best remedy is surely a bowl of chicken noodle soup! In fact, chicken noodle soup is perfect for any day you need that warm, comforting feeling of home, whether it’s rainy or not. Chicken soup is known all over the world as the ultimate comfort food that’s not only yummy but also good for you! That’s why in the Caribbean, chicken soup made with chicken bones is a popular go-to home remedy for colds and even the flu. I’m not sure if it’s the chicken bones, the warmth of the soup or the love that goes inside, but chicken noodle soup works wonders! While trying to find a way to make chicken soup more interesting for my family, I came up with this chicken noodle with shrimp recipe. Since then, it has become one of our favourite soup recipes.
In Jamaica, soup is the meal of choice most Saturdays for lunch, dinner or both. Jamaicans make the most out of Soup Saturdays, often having several bowls for the day. Chicken soup is the most commonly prepared soup because chicken is readily available and often affordable. It’s also widely consumed, with all parts of the chicken being utilized. ‘Chicken foot soup’ is one of the most popular soups prepared in Jamaica. However, there are some who find chicken feet unappealing and use other chicken parts such as necks and back in their soup instead. When it comes to chicken, and meat in general, I’m all for the bony parts. This is because they are full of flavour and fun to chew!
This recipe I’ve developed is my own take on the traditional chicken soup recipe prepared in Jamaica. For years, my family and I have enjoyed the typical chicken noodle soup loaded with pumpkin and spices. However, I’m always searching for creative ways to ‘nice up’ my family mealtimes. That’s when I tried a ‘surf and turf’ twist on Jamaican chicken soup by adding some juicy jumbo shrimp. The instant my husband and son asked for seconds, I knew my super combo was a winner. The feedback I received on social media for this recipe has also been overwhelming. I’m happy to now share this satisfying chicken noodle and shrimp recipe with you all.
This chicken noodle soup with shrimp recipe goes well with my Jamaican Festival recipe, so give them both a try.
Bless up and enjoy it!
Chicken Soup with Shrimp Recipe
- ½ whole chicken cut into bite-size pieces
- 300 g jumbo shrimp raw, peeled and deveined
- 1 kg pumpkin
- 3.5 - 4 L water
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 3 stalks scallion bruised
- 1 small bunch thyme
- ½ tsp scotch bonnet pepper or to taste
- 6-8 pimento seeds
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 lb yellow yam diced
- ½ lb sweet potato (optional), chopped
- 1 small irish potato (optional), chopped
- 2 cobs sweet corn (optional), chopped
- 1 pk chicken noodle soup mix powdered, seasoned
- In a bowl, cut up and wash the raw chicken.
- Wash, peel and cut the pumpkin into large chunks.
- Add water to a large ‘soup’ pot and put to boil.
- Immediately add the chicken, chunks of pumpkin and corn to the pot.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper, pimento, scotch bonnet pepper and half the portion of garlic, thyme and chopped onions.
- Stir the pot and cook uncovered for 30 - 40 minutes.
- When pumpkin chunks get soft, use a large spoon to crush them smooth.
- Add carrots, yam and sweet potatoes, stir the pot and boil for 15 -20 minutes more.
- Top up the pot with water and bring it to a boil for approximately 5 minutes.
- Next, add 1 pack powdered chicken noodle soup mix, scallions and the rest of chopped fresh seasoning, stir the soup, cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the cover, stir the soup and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Taste the soup for adequate saltiness/flavour. Please note: If the soup is bland and requires more flavour, add 1 teaspoon of salt and more chopped garlic, onion and thyme.
- Finally, add shrimp, stir the pot and cook for 5 - 8 minutes more.
- Your delicious surf and turf - Chicken and Shrimp Soup is ready!
- Serve hot, Bless up and enjoy it!