Jamaican Oven Jerk Chicken Recipe
Do you love the spicy flavours of Jamaican Jerk Chicken but don’t know how to make it yourself? Well, my Oven Jerk Chicken Recipe will give you juicy, authentic Jamaican Jerk Chicken at home, when you crave it!
- 1 whole chicken cut into quarters
- 4 - 6 large scotch bonnet peppers chopped, (for mild Jerk Chicken, reduce the amount scotch bonnet peppers to two).
- 1 large onion chopped
- 6 - 8 stalks green onions (scallion)
- 8 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 bunch fresh thyme chopped
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp soya sauce msg-free
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce optional
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp ground pimento (allspice) or 1 dozen pimento seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp onion powder unsalted
- 1 tbsp garlic powder unsalted
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cumin
Make the jerk marinade by combining all seasoning in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Place chicken quarters in a large bowl, then pour the jerk marinade unto the chicken pieces.
Using a large fork or gloved hands, thoroughly rub the jerk marinade over the chicken ensuring the seasoning gets under the chicken skin and coats each piece completely.
Cover the bowl of seasoned chicken and let marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray cooking spray unto a foil lined 9x13 inch baking dish.
Place the chicken pieces skin-side down and bake for 45 minutes before turning. Bake for a further 30 minutes then increase the temperature to 375 degrees. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes more then remove from oven.
Chop the Jerk Chicken quarters into bite-sized pieces to serve.
Serve with crispy Jamaican fried festival, rice and peas or your favourite side dish.
Bless up and enjoy it!